Saturday, February 2, 2013

Please share your tips for attracting wild birds: techniques or foods

Last year, someone broke into my locked garden and stole (of all things), all of the birds feeders that we had out.  I know this sounds strange, but we had built up this collection over quite a while and there was approximately £150 worth of equipment and food out.

Police suspect it was either metal thieves taking to sell as scrap, or perhaps it was just an opportunist little toad taking his/her chance to grab something to sell at the local car boot sale.  Either way, it's largely academic, it was all taken.

Aside from the fact that we'd had some horrible little person on our property taking the things we had worked hard for, but we had lost the ability to feed these wild birds and thus to enjoy them.

Someone has recently given me a fat ball feeder and I had a nyjer seed feeder luckily stashed away, so have attempted to restart the whole project.  Feeding wild birds is not only a genuinely rewarding hobby, but also incredibly supportive to the nation's wild life.

What I'd like to ask though, is for any tips you have for attracting either generally, or for specific types of birds.  I posted on the RSPB Love Nature Facebook Page and have had some great feedback, but I'm interested in hearing about more.

Either comment below, on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter with your tips for attracting wildlife.

1 comment:

  1. Hi James, Sorry to hear about your theft! I would be gutted if that happened to me!
    A while ago I bought a book entitled "Attracting Birds to your Garden" by Stephen Moss and David Cotteridge as I was interested like you in attracting different birds to my garden.
    I live 10 mins from the centre of Chesterfield and my tiny garden backs onto open land with a Golf Course beyond. When I first started putting out food for the birds in simple wire bird feeders I had a constant battle with the local looney squirrels! However I don't give up easily, so last winter I built myself a bird table from wood which was earmarked for my log burner, each day the table would be visited by Robins, Finches, the odd Black Bird, some very hungry Magpies.
    I then bought a metal feeding station, with hooks and dishes and which keeps the squirrels at bay (if you know how) The station has suet balls and peanuts in hanging containers and then each day I fill one of the dishes with lots of different foods which I read about in the book. Rice (cooked), Grapes, Apple Core's, Seeds, Nuts, Currants, Sunflower seeds, crumbs, bread, cornflakes, dried peas, beans etc....and WOW the birds came flocking in, I have at last 3 Robins, 4 male Black Birds have been seen at one time, female Back Birds, All kinds of finches and Tits, 2 amazing Missle Thrushes, A pair of Jays, the odd Sparrow or two and the occasional Woodpecker, along with the big guys you can do without Magpies and Pigeons.
    I also have a Nyger seed feeder by my kitchen window which attracts some very colourful Goldfinches wich usually arrive in a gang of 4 and lastly I have a window feeder stuck to the window right in from of my desk which I fill with Sunflower seeds (in shells) and this feeder is busy all the time :)
    I hope you get your feeders back up and running, you can pick up some inexpensive one's at your local £1 shop, or Wilko.
    I'm working on how to attract an Owl :))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments, feedback or questions are always welcome. Please note that they should be on topic and constructive.