Thursday, January 31, 2013

Is Facebook (CPC/CPM) advertising worth it? I use an ad run by @ashadegreener as an example

When A Shade Greener Ltd. showed me this advert on Facebook, I immediately jumped onto their website and entered all the details requested.

Details, which included my postcode.  It then displayed me an interactive map and asked me to 'pin my roof'.  At this stage, there is presumably little doubt as to exactly where I live.  Actually, at the point of showing me the ad, the company must have had a pretty good [albeit rough] idea of where I lived; didn't they?

Facebook advertising allows you to specify your audience by location (in addition to other criteria).  So, if you're sent an advert, is it reasonable to assume the advert was meant for you?

This morning, I received the following email from the company -
"Thanks for your applicationWe’re very sorry but you are based outside the area in which we are installing at the moment.
This decision cannot be reviewed as applications are automatically deleted in the Desktop Survey Department after being processed. Hence, if you would like to question this decision you must either apply again, ensuring that your objection is detailed in the ‘Message’ section of the application, or email enquiries@ashadegreener.co.uk"
I've copied and pasted the exact email [body, minus signature], as received (including the lack of punctuation and salutation).

Alas, I digress; you see this really isn't about me being upset that I can't get free solar panels (for the record, I am), but as someone who works with organisations and companies to explain why social media is a viable platform for advertising, it frustrates me to see it being used badly ineffectively.

I'm not complaining [too much] about the fact that they won't progress my application, after all, they did clearly state of the advert that the CTA was to "Enquire now"; but does this represent an effective use of Facebook advertising?

No, in my opinion, it doesn't.  You see, whatever they've targeted within their advert specifications (the list includes location, age, gender, interest and more), if they're not operating outside a certain geographical area, why would they target their ad at anyone outside of that area?

On a platform that you pay either by the displaying of the advert (CPM) or for each click of the advert (CPC), what's the bottom line?  They've just paid money for my interaction.  Money that could should have been better spent elsewhere.

Advertising is about reaching your target audience.  I wasn't their target; so they failed.

Does this mean though, that advertising on Facebook doesn't work?  Far from it; advertising on [one of] the world's most popular social platforms can yield really positive results.  However, just because someone has a Facebook account, doesn't mean that they should necessarily be responsible for your Facebook marketing campaigns.

I have a television, but I don't create TV ads.

So, in short, yes; Facebook advertising really can work.  If you're interested in maximising your budget and seeing what social media can do for you, speak to someone and ask them how they'll make your money work for you.

CTA: Call to action ~ What are you asking your target to do? For example, do you want them to register on your website, buy something, tell other people etc.?
CPM: Cost Per Mille ~ The cost for each 1,000 impressions (displays) of your advert.
CPC: Cost Per Click ~ The cost for each click on your advert.

Note: because I've used A Shade Greener Ltd. as an example, I'm linking to their website so you can check out their service.  Just to be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, feedback or questions are always welcome. Please note that they should be on topic and constructive.