Friday, October 28, 2011

Trick or treat?

With the clear and present exception of Christmas, is it no great secret that I am not one for festivities; at least those that people have put little, or no effort into.

I am referring, of course, to Halloween (and Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night too as the whole thing seems to have bled (no pun intended) into one now).

While in 'town' today, I was screeched at..."PENNY FOR THE GUY?".  Penny for the guy?  Ok...firstly, that's not a guy...that's a doll...in a pram...wearing a 'Scream' mask?

Needless to say, no pennies were handed over.

Alas, I digress, it's Halloween that bugs me really.  Even more specifically, 'Trick or treaters'.  You see, I'm as much as a sucker as the next guy for some cute little zombie holding hands with a witch, but if you're 19 years old, and wearing a track suit with a baseball cap and you come to my door touting "Trick or treat"...I have to ask..."Are you kidding me?" (Apparently, there is no answer to that question, but it will earn you verbal abuse).

I'm certainly not condoning any nasty pranks...but should one not actually have a 'trick' should a 'treat' not be forthcoming?  Otherwise, you may as well just come to the door saying "Candy...any free candy?".

All I ask is for a costume for 'Trick or treaters'...an actual 'Guy' for...whatever you call them ('Beggars' seems harsh)...and perhaps a little self restraint from the 18+ year olds that will no doubt be darkening my doorstep this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, feedback or questions are always welcome. Please note that they should be on topic and constructive.